On a dull grey day what better a way to cheer oneself up than flick through old photos of those long ago tropical travels you made. *Good idea you say*. Todays blog post comes all the way from the tropical island of Palawan. Well, actually, it comes from Starbucks, Madrid but we can all dream.
Before I departed on my journey to the Philippines, I had flicked through Pintrest searching for the most beautiful locations in this vast country made up of over 7000 islands. I think around 80% of the photos that I found and fell in love with were taken from Palawan, featuring crystal clear waters, a lot of coconuts and impressive limestone rocks exploding from the sea.
So, I journeyed, I saw and I conquered. But what recommendations can I give you? I unfortunately only had time to venture to the very top of the island to a place called El Nido that is around 5 hours by private van from the airport ‘city’ of Puerto Princesa. This is where ALL the photos of Palawan are taken, well the ones I found anyway! Do not get me wrong, I am sure there are lots of other great places to visit on this island but I think El Nido is the no1 destination. So here goes, lets see if you think so too!
- Take a boat trip. Often referred to as Trip A,B,C or D. You must take at least one. Costing around 1200 Pesos it will be the most beautiful boat trip you will ever take in your life.
- Stay in SPIN Hostel. It is a spectacular design hostel that has double beds in dorm rooms of 4. I know I was shocked too.
- When it gets dark, take a moped along TayTay highway to Corong Beach (I think). Here, take a dip in the sea with the glow in the dark plankton. I cannot put into words how spectacular this is. I think it may have been the most beautiful night of my existence. YES. It was better than anything you will see in Twilight.
- Walk along the street parallel to the beach and find a restaurant where you can pick your own fresh fish for dinner. If you have sunburnt lips do not go for the Crab with a coconut sauce. It was delicious but hurt like hell.
- Go diving. Just do it no matter how scared you are. It will be worth it. Submariner Dive Centre will take you on an awesome trip out to the crystal waters and deserted islands.
- Go for more than 3 days. This place has so much to explore and so many connections to other islands. My only regret was I didn’t spend more time there.
JUST DO IT. YOU WILL NOT REGRET.